4 KIDS NO DOG and a BABY

4 KIDS NO DOG and a BABY

December 07, 2008

On the Seventh Day Of Christmas...

my true love gave to me,



the seventh day of the week, some call the Sabbath, others may call it Sunday.



As a Christian, I believe that the 7th day was created for rest. It's a day of worship. A day to reflect on the rest of the week. A day to rest from our worries. A day to sing and to pray. A day to go to church.


This morning didn't start off much different than most Sundays lately, you know go get dressed, try to get some breakfast for the kids, do we have any toys or snacks?, some protests from going, however it made me think: Why the heck do I bother? The kids didn't want to get dressed, didn't want to go to church. Once we got there, they did ok at first and then....oh man lets just say the man that sat behind us last week that mumbled under his breath, loudly to his wife "Could we have picked a worse seat for church?", was certain to not sit behind us this week, and I am sure he was glad. Between T-Rex screaming and Two and Bee running in and out! It was just so not good.




I even left the meeting room and sat in the foyer, with three out of four of my naughty little ones. I finally went out and sat by the car, with Two screaming behind me the whole way leaving the building...so much for keeping the spirit there for others.


I was in tears. One mostly embarrassed at my inability to parent and reinforce positive proper behavior. And then two because my kids were so out of control. Not sure how it happened. Not sure what to do.

I could just stop going but I can't. Why? Because I believe strongly in the importance of torture!? No because I know that regardless of their behavior and regardless of what others may think, that is where we need to be.

I know that God lives. I know He loves us. I know He knows our struggles. I know He wants us to be happy. I know that life isn't always easy. I know that we gain strength through the hard times. And I know the knowledge they gain by being there will help them be better people.


And plus don't we just all look so cute dressed up and at church?

9 comments:

Jessica Simonsen Howard said...

You do look really cute. I love your outfits. Hang in there! Your kids are great.

Yvonne said...

Yes, you all look fabulous.

Sundays can be so hard. But you are so right--that's exactly why we go--because it is where we NEED to be. It will get better.

Sheri said...

I remember quite awhile ago, when they were all really young wondering the same thing! However, it is much better now, no treats, no toys and no screaming and crying! And as long as I don't sit behind the wrong family, I can listen!!LOL! Hang in there!!

Rachel said...

Sundays are hard -- as a pastor's kid I never knew a peaceful Sunday. And now, with an 18th month old, it hasn't changed. We're supposed to be a part of the praise team but our daughter is making that impossible. I keep reminding myself that "this too shall pass" (hopefully!)

BEAUTIFUL family picture, by the way.

Following In My Shoes

Anonymous said...

Yep - you guys do look adorable!

I'm sorry you had such a hard time ... does your church have one of those daycare rooms where the kids can go during the service?

Unknown said...

cute, cute, outfits.

Hopefully you'll look back on all this in about ten years and it'll be fodder for hilarious bouts of family laughter and good memories. That's what I always tell myself, at least, in those darkest moments when I question my very existence as a parent. :)

Do you guys live in HI? SO Jealous.

Unknown said...

I love the outfits. Where do you live in Hawaii? It looks so warm where you are.

Amateur Steph said...

I think we all have those crazy moments with our kids. And I think church with young kids is sometimes just a test to see if we really are faithful :)
Did you make those outfits? You guys look awesome!

UtahJenny said...

We just had #4 and right now he sleeps through much of church - I know those days are numbered. I am expecting many a Sunday as you described!!! Thanks for the great suggestion about glitter on the floor - with a coat of Modge Podge on top I think we have a solution!!! ;)

And, my Thing 1 was checking out your blog with my and she might have a little bloggie crush on your G-man - very cute. = Love the Sunday clothes - wish we were there.

Become A Blog HOODIE!