4 KIDS NO DOG and a BABY

4 KIDS NO DOG and a BABY

June 17, 2008

Twelve Hour Mom

You know you are a twelve hour mom when:

Your kids wake up at 5:30 am and you are ready for them to go to bed at six at night!


I knew well I didn't know, when I decided to have kids that it really is a 24/7 job. I always thought I'd have nights and weekends off...what was I thinking?

I just really need a little time to myself especially at nights. I discovered well more like came to a realization last night that after about 12 hours of my kids I shut down, and need a break.

Is it so wrong of me to want them to go to bed? Stay in their beds, or even their rooms for that matter?? Why do I feel quilty for wanting to have my own down time?

Why do they want to stay up with me? I really am not a nice mom after seven o'clock. Heck not sure if I am ever a nice mom, but I really am not nice after 13 plus hours with my kids.

Eric doesn't understand that when I want him to put the kids to bed, and have them stay there, I mean it. I don't think he gets that I really truly need them out of my hair.

Don't get me wrong I love my kids. I love spending time with my kids, just not at night. I just want to sit in front of the tv and think of nothing. I want to write on the computer, or do some digital scrapbooking and not have to worry about kids.

Am I alone??


Am I just horrible?


Am I just plain tired??

8 comments:

mkt said...

I hear you sister! I feel like my mom card should only be valid for about 15 hours tops... after that it's like the clock strikes midnight and I turn into the wicked stepmother. You'd think they would want to stay in their beds at that point... hang in there!

Hey It's Di said...

I couldn't agree with you more. I have told my husband that it's better for them to have time away from me after so many hours or I get really grumpy. I would rather NOT have them be around that person. It's just better for everyone if they leave me alone after too many hours:)

Sheri said...

Gasp! I can't believe you really feel that way! What a horrible mother!
Is that the reaction you thought you would get? Not from me friend!!
In fact... I would say I need down time more often than just a night... Greg wonders why I take such long baths so often!!
I think it is a 24/7 job because they are alway on our minds and in or hearts... not because we are suppossed to be with them all of that time!
Anyway...I guess I am meaner than you... my kids know when I say stay in bed, that means I don't want to see them until morning!
Brie is the only one that tests me on it, but whe is learning the hard way... hmm, sounds like someone else I know! My dad always says, the acorn doesn't fall far from the tree...or is it an apple?

Sheri said...

Oh, one more thing...just kidding;) I think the last post is long enough!!

iggee said...

You are soooo not alone, sister! Erik is away all day. Of course he doesn't get it. I had all 3 yesterday from 7am-9:30pm, and I wanted to run away screaming. If everyday was like yesterday, I probably would've run away screaming a long time ago.

I say - get your alone time any way you have to! You need it. You deserve it.

Jessica Simonsen Howard said...

I am so with you, lucky for me though I work a few nights a week and Jason has to deal with the kids, so he does understand for the most part. I am sorry my brother is gone a lot. Tell him to shape up. (hehehe) I get the kids down at 8 because I need some sanity every night, we all do. Love you and hang in there.

Yvonne said...

I always needed my nights when my kids were little. I was very fortunate because for the most part they went to bed and stayed in bed. No, you are not alone and you are not horrible. Just plain tired--POSSIBLE!

Anonymous said...

Are you kidding.....put their butts to bed and wind down. I know exactly how you feel but I do get a break. We miss you dearly and I need your address.
Melissa Talavera
tala99vera@sbcglobal.net

Become A Blog HOODIE!